Today I bring you a guest post from the uber crafty Lisa Hazell.
Lisa: I’m so excited to be sharing a fun and simple tutorial with you here at The Walkup Blog today!! I love all things crafty, especially projects that incorporate vintage paper ephemera!! My Etsy Shoppe specializes in vintage craft supplies, including a nice assortment of ephemera such as tickets, coupons, tags, labels, and other paper pieces. Today, I’m going to show you how to make a super fun and easy decoupage project that incorporates these types of vintage items!!
Let’s get started by gathering some supplies…
- Unfinished Wooden Frame (my frame was $1.00)
- Acrylic Paints (to match your ephemera)
- Assorted Paper Ephemera (I prefer vintage)
- Decoupage Medium (your favorite brand is fine)
- Foam Brush (a regular brush may work)
- Craft Knife (I like my X-acto knife)
- Varnish (I really like the “Satin” finish)
- Find a color of acrylic paint that matches your ephemera. I had to mix a few colors together to get just right shade of teal blue.
- Paint the front of the frame. Don’t worry about the sides just yet.
- Let it dry completely.
- Gather a bunch of ephemera in your color choice, such as tickets, tags, stamps, labels, play money, coupons, etc. You can theme the photo frame based on events you want to remember – like every concert you’ve gone to with a best friend!
- Decoupage these pieces, one by one, onto the front of your frame, but don’t fold the excess over the sides.
- Keep adding your ephemera until the entire frame front is covered.
- Let dry.
- Using your craft knife, very carefully trim the excess paper off the edges of the frame.
- Using the same color acrylic paint you used earlier, paint the outside and inside edges of the frame.
- Two to three coats will completely cover the wood grain, but if you’d like that to show through, only use one coat.
- Let the paint dry completely before starting the next step.
- Add at least two coats of varnish to the front and sides of the frame.
- If bubbles form, just blog on them and they should pop.
- Be sure to let the varnish dry completely.
- If your frame didn’t come with a way to hang it, just add a nice ribbon to hang it by.
- Add your picture, image, or other focal piece to the finished frame.
ET VIOLA! TA-DA! BRAVA! HANG THIS VINTAGE-INSPIRED MASTERPIECE IN THE LIVING ROOM!
Since I know everyone doesn’t have a huge collection of vintage ephemera (tickets, bingo boards, bottle caps, just lying around, here’s a coupon code so you can get 10% your entire order (before S&H) at Lisa’s Craft Shoppe…
COUPON CODE: WALKUP10PER
Just click the shoppe button below, add your items to your cart. When you’re ready to check out, go to your cart, click on “Add shop coupon code” and add the above coupon code to receive your 10% discount!!
Thanks so much, Keren, for having me over today!! I’ve had such a wonderful time and hope to be back soon!!