My good friend Meg K. Adams, just went on a totally enviable trip to the Tyrrhenian Sea off of Italy’s coast. In short, she went to Capri! This island in the Gulf of Naples, is famed for its rugged landscape, upscale beach resorts and high-end shops selling handmade leather sandals and signature limoncello liqueur. Its skyline is a veritable rainbow of hyper saturated greens, whites and reds. However, it’s clear that blue is the predominate hue! Although Meg didn’t love Naples itself (she said it was pretty dirty and seedier than expected), she did contest to being able to find delicious fire-brick oven pizza at any side street – she chowed down in San Ferdinando, a southern district of Naples, on Via Partenope.
On the island of Capri, just about 12,000 residents call the limestone block home – yet as many as 20,000 visitors flock there daily in the busy season – doubling its capacity! You might be familiar with Capri without even realizing it. The Caprese salad gets its name from “salad of Capri” which is tomato, fresh mozzarella and basil with seasoning of salt and olive oil.
Capri’s most famous square is called Piazza Umberto I, but it’s locally known as “La piazzetta” (the square) or ”a chiazz”. You can see it above with its gloriously strung festival lights. Meg stayed at the Hotel Relais Maresca, whose name means Sea View. She says that it was wonderful. There are fancier abides on the island, but everyone at the hotel was so nice and the views were spectacular. Meg exclaims, “We slept out on our balcony for part of a night just because we could!”
Meg’s Packing Hints:
- Buy a converter and then immediately lose it and have to buy a hair dryer in the UK.
- Wear jumpsuits everywhere you go.
- Order a new swimsuit that you are completely uncertain of sizing. Don’t think to order until a few days before you leave so that if it IS the wrong size, you are completely out of luck.
- Walk so much you have to leave your shoes behind because they are now full of holes.
- Disregard the logical amount of clothing you need for your trip and just PACK EVERYTHING. Leverage your Midwestern charm at the airport so they don’t charge you for your bag being WAY overweight.
Shop Meg’s Capri Closet: