Candace and I first met in middle school, at an after-school program called STEP (Special Talented Enrichment Program) Music Theater. We both loved singing, particularly anything by Jonathan Larson, Eric Whitacre or Jason Robert Brown. We performed alongside one another for over six years in everything from Latin chorales, French lullabies, pop duets, madrigals and more! We both also hold a fondness for Nintendo, but that sort of nerdom can go into another post.
Name: Candace Tomkiel City: Old City, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Occupation: SEO Account Manager at Razorfish Healthware Age: 26
And as part of my ongoing EAT/SEE/SHOP/DO series, I asked Candace to come up with a short list of her Philadelphia favorites. Let’s delve into the city of brotherly love!
- EAT: Oh god there’s too many. I’m going to go with Wedge & Fig (great brunch!) but I could do a story just about food in Philly and how amazing it is.
- SEE: I’m going to go with the Ben Franklin Bridge – I can see it from my condo and I love running across it too (it’s 4 miles for me to run from my condo over the bridge to NJ and back). There’s something kind of nice about being able to see the way to get to one’s home state from one’s new house!
Photograph of Reading Terminal by Jared Kofsky.
- SHOP: IT’S A TIE! Between the Italian Market and Reading Terminal Market. Fresh veggies, cheese, fish, meat etc. I just love both markets, they remind me so much of markets in Italy or Spain!
- DO: I already said this in SEE but I love running in Philly, across the Ben Franklin Bridge or to Kelly Drive. Gorgeous views of Philly on both routes. I also love going to Karaoke on Tuesdays/Quizzo on Wednesdays at National Mechanics – National Mechanics is actually a fairly historic building that was originally built as a bank in 1837.
- INSPIRE: The people around me are who really inspire me. As such, I try to surround myself with friends and family as much as I can, whether it’s mentoring new co-workers, hosting dinner parties at my condo, or organizing events with my alumni club.
Do you have any friends that remind you of Candace? Let’s MEET & GREET them!